These records of a women's charitable Quaker organization include correspondence, committee reports, legal papers and financial accounts. The organization provided money to needy women and children and the members also did spinning work, gave out soup and opened a home for widows and orphans.
This Society was established in 1795 by Anne Parrish, a young Quaker woman, in order to address the issue of poverty. The collection includes mostly administrative records, as well as pamphlets, newspaper clippings, and photographs from major gatherings and events.
The Society originated out of a concern felt by a group of Quaker women associated with Germantown Monthly Meeting to aid women with little or no income and no way of earning money outside the home. Records include correspondence, annual reports, minutes and financial accounts.
Beulah Hurley Waring was a Quaker woman who worked for the American Friends Service Committee/ Friends War Victims Relief Committee and Anglo-American Friends Mission/ American Red Cross during and after World War I, especially with the child feeding program. The collection primarily contains correspondence relating principally to her relief work in Europe and Russia.
Elizabeth Marsh Jensen worked for the AFSC as a Home Service and Personnel Director serving in Mexico during the Spanish Civil War to help refugees. She was also a part of the Friends World Committee. This collection contains her diaries, various correspondence, speeches, and articles pertaining to her work as an aid worker.
The primary founder of this organization was a Quaker named Rebecca Walker. She wanted to establish a “real home” for foundlings, orphans and other children needing protection. It was formed in 1881 and the Board of Directors and other positions were to be equally divided as to sex.
Founded in 1817 by Sarah Ralston, this Society represented the first charitable organization in Philadelphia exclusively devoted to the needs of the elderly. An Institution was established and its management was entrusted exclusively to females.
Formed by a group of Roman Catholic women in 1847, this association was established in order to open an institution for the reformation, employment and instruction of “females who had led immoral lives.” This book contains the constitution and annual reports of the organization from 1847-1855.