Online Databases for Historical News - a small selection - World History (non-US)
These are just a handful of online databases for historical newspapers, magazines, and periodicals. Want more recommendations? Talk to reference librarian Sarah Elichko - email@example.com.
More research tools for historical news (world)
Historical Newspapers (World) - how to identify and find historical newspapers, magazines, etc.
If you're looking for a specific publication (e.g. The Times):
- Search Tripod - change the drop-down menu from All Resources to Journal Title, and enclose the publication name in double quotes (search example).
- If that doesn't work, try searching Worldcat - run the same search as in Tripod, and limit your search results to "Serials."
To identify newspapers and other publications that might be relevant (when you don't have a specific title in mind):
- Try a Tripod subject search for the country or city and the term "periodicals." (search example)
- If you don't get good results from Tripod, run the same search in Worldcat. Limit your search results to "Serials."
- Find a recent scholarly history book on your topic (broadly) - see if there are newspapers (etc.) identified in the bibliography.
- Use a published bibliography to identify newspapers, magazines, etc. - search Tripod for these (search example)
You might find historical newspapers, magazines, or periodicals in the following forms:
- Scanned versions through online databases
- In print books available from libraries (e.g. bound magazines and journals, facsimilies of newspapers) - TriCo or via Interlibrary Loan
- On microfilm - TriCo or via Interlibrary Loan