Importing BibTeX Database
Import your references into LyX using the BibTeX Format
BibTeX is the bibliographic database containing all the references integrated into LaTeX. LyX, as a frontend to LaTeX works with BibTeX quite easily.
Here are the essential things to know about BibTeX:
- The most important step is to make sure your references are in the BibTeX format when you export your results from a database such as MathSciNet, or Google Scholar.
- BibTeX files have a file extension of .bib, but they are just text files that can be edited if necessary.
- When you have a long list of references, it is preferable to import them as a BibTeX file to avoid transcription errors.
- When you import BibTeX references, you can format them in a number of formats built into LyX.
How to import your references in a .bib file
Run your search, and export your marked results in BibTeX format.
- In LyX, Insert --> List/TOC --> Bibliography
- Browse for the .bib file and click Add.
- In the same window, under Style, choose the style required by your professor or the journal you are submitting to
- In the Content section, choose from the dropdown to select all references or only those that are cited.
- Find the locations for which the in-text citations shall appear, Insert --> Citations.
- Select the matching references for each citation
- View your finished paper. Document --> PDF (LaTeX)