Updated and translated version of the standard encyclopedia for Antiquity, Paulys Real-Encyclopädie der classischen Altertumswissenschaft
. Articles are extensive and often address the topic in general before analyzing the issues in Greece and in Rome specifically. Bibliographies list books, essays, and journal articles for further reading.
There are also additional series published with the encyclopedia, including a five-volume set on the classical tradition and four supplements:
1) Chronologies of the Ancient World
2) Dictionary of Greek and Latin Authors and Texts
3) Historical Atlas of the Ancient World
4) Reception of Myth and Mythology
5) Reception of Classical Literature
6) History of Classical Scholarship - A Biographical Dictionary
7) Figures of Antiquity and Their Reception in Art, Literature and Music
8) The Reception of antiquity in Renaissance Humanism
9) The Early Mediterranean World, 1200-600 BC
10) History and Culture of Byzantium
12) The Reception of Antiquity in the Age of Enlightenment
All Pauly volumes available in print at HVC.