By no illustrator listed, published by Phillips & Hunt [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
Identifying Relevant Books
Use Tripod to look for relevant books owned by Haverford, Swarthmore, and Bryn Mawr.
The following suggested subject searches are only a sampling of possibilities. To find materials on a topic not listed below, try doing a keyword search in the Tripod Library Catalog to find relevant titles and then using the subject headings assigned to those items to find more.
- english teaching "high school*" [Keyword Search]
- english study and teaching secondary [Subject Search]
- mathematics study and teaching secondary [Subject Search, sorted by newest books first]
- science study and teaching secondary [ Subject Search, sorted by newest books first]
- chemistry study and teaching secondary [ Keyword Search, sorted by newest books first]
- physics study and teaching secondary [ Keyword Search, sorted by newest books first]
- "social sciences" "study and teaching secondary" [ Keyword Search, sorted by newest books first]
- (Subject:effective teaching AND Keyword:"high school*" OR secondary [Subject and Keyword Search]
Research Best Bets for Journal Articles
The main sources for identifying articles and books in Education and related fields.
Data & Statistics
Using Literature Reviews
In a literature review the author writes an overview of a topic from the point of view of the research that has been done. The author analyzes the arguments in individual books and journal articles to build a narrative about the themes that have been articulated, areas which need further investigation, and questions which do not yet have a consensus among scholars.
For your project, a literature review can give you a headstart on figuring out which books and journal articles are the most relevant and of the highest quality.
Beyond the Tri-College Collections
WorldCat is an important place to look for many materials not owned by the Tri-College Libraries. This combined library catalog contains more than 179 million records describing items owned by libraries around the world. Many of these items are available to you though interlibrary loan