Skip to main content

Library Guide: New Swarthmore Students

FAQs for First-year and Transfer students

book icon  How do I find textbooks and readings for my classes?

paper icon I'd like to read a specific journal, magazine, or newspaper, but it's behind a paywall (for example, The Economist or The New York Times). Does Swarthmore subscribe to it? 

  • Use Tripod to search for the title of the journal, magazine, or newspaper.
  • Look for a "Connect from Swarthmore" link in the Tripod search results.

screenshot of search results in tripod


question mark icon I'm starting to work on a paper. How do I find scholarly sources? Where do I start?

  • Get advice and suggestions by talking with a peer Research & Info Associate (RIA) or a librarian: Hours & Contact Info
  • Try searching Tripod for keywords related to your topic. You'll see results in two columns books on the left, articles on the right.
  • Take a look at Research Guides. TriCo librarians maintain this website, which provides advice and links for finding academic research that you can cite in papers.

car icon I'd like to borrow a book (film, article, etc.), but it's not available from the library. How do I get access to it?

Books, films, music

  • First, double-check Tripod is the book available at Haverford or Bryn Mawr? If so, click the Request link and it will be delivered to you at Swarthmore.
  • If the book isn't available at all from Tripod, use EZBorrow to request the book from a nearby academic library like Temple or Drexel (usually takes 3-5 days).
  • If the book isn't available from EZBorrow, fill out the Interlibrary Loan form online to request it (usually takes about a week). 

Articles (journal, magazine, newspaper)

  • Try searching Tripod for the journal title (e.g., English Historical Review) rather than the article title ("Catalog-Searching Techniques among English Nobility").
  • If the journal/newspaper isn't in Tripod, fill out the Article Delivery form online to request a PDf (usually emailed within 24-48 hours)