What is Zotero
Zotero (pronounced “zoh-TAIR-oh’) is a free citation management tool that helps you:
- Save all your citations in a single place
- Organize your references into collections for different subjects, projects, or courses
- Attach PDFs, notes, images, web pages, and other files to citations
- Cite sources quickly while writing
- Create bibliographies instantly in any standard citation style
- Share references and bibliographies with colleagues, students, or professors
In order to get the most out of Zotero, you will need 4 things:
- The Zotero application
- A Zotero.org account
- Web browser extensions
Microsoft Word plugin
If you're running Zotero 5.0 or Zotero Standalone 4.0, the word processor plugins are bundled with Zotero and should be installed automatically for each installed word processor when you first start Zotero.
You can reinstall the plugins later from the Cite → Word Processor Plugins pane of the Zotero preferences. If you're having trouble, see Manually Installing the Zotero Word Processor Plugin or Word Processor Plugin Troubleshooting.
If you previously installed the Firefox versions of the word processor plugins into Zotero 5.0 or Zotero Standalone 4.0, you should uninstall them from Tools → Add-ons.