Common questions for first-year students
I'd like to read a specific journal, magazine, or newspaper, but it's behind a paywall. Does Swarthmore subscribe to it? (For example, The Economist or The New York Times.)
• To see if Swarthmore subscribes, go to Tripod and search for the title of the journal, magazine, or newspaper.
• Then look for a "Connect from Swarthmore" link in the Tripod search results.
I'm starting to work on a paper. How do I find scholarly sources? Where do I start?
Here are 3 ways to proceed:
• Try searching Tripod for keywords related to your topic. You'll see results in 2 columns - books on the left, articles on the right.
• Take a look at Research Guides. TriCo librarians maintain this website, which provides advice and links for finding academic research that you can cite in papers.
I'd like to borrow a book, but it's not available from the library. Can I get it?
• First, double-check Tripod - is the book available at Haverford or Bryn Mawr? If so, click the Request link and it will be delivered to you at Swarthmore.
• If the book isn't available from EZBorrow, fill out the online Interlibrary Loan form to request it. This usually takes about a week.