What are citation-management tools and why should I use one?
Citation-management tools allow one to:
- Collect bibliography and automatically create citations formatted in a number of standard citation syles: APA, MLA, Chicago, and so on
- Save citations for use in current and/or future assignments and other projects
- Organize citations into folders in order to customize bibliographies by topic or project
- Add notes and additional metadata to citations
- Share citations with others
- Store citations online and gain access to them from multiple devices or locations
What is Zotero?
- Zotero is a free citation-management extension for Firefox (also available as a standalone program).
- Zotero allows one to gather, organize, analyze, and re-use:
- Full-text documents (PDFs, snapshots)
- Web pages
- Other objects (e.g., dictionary entries, book chapters)
- Zotero also allows one to share these citations and files through the use of "groups" on its website. Groups can be either private or public. Users can also search existing public groups for citations and other information on topics that interest them. For more information, see: http://www.zotero.org/support/groups.