Books in the TriCo Libraries
- Start your Tripod search with just the topic you're interested in, for example, "sustainable agriculture." Omit the country or region you're interested in from your keywords.
- On the Tripod search results page, click on the "Books and More" link on the left.
- Then narrow down your search results to books about the region you're interested in. Look on the right side of the page, and scroll down until you find the option for "Region." Then select the (broad) region you're interested in, for example, "Africa."
- You'll see a list of books on your topic that focus on a region, country, or countries in Africa.
- Search by the subject headings you find in the book's Tripod record--this will help you find other books on the same topic, classified with the same subject heading.
- Consult the book's bibliography and use Tripod and library databases to track down some of the sources that author cited.
Finding Books in McCabe
Once you have a call number for a book that's in McCabe, how do you find the book?
Example: HQ518 .L35 2002
1. Use the first letter of the call number to find the floor you need.
- Lower Level= A-E
- 2nd Level= F-K
- 3rd Level= L-Z
(1st/Main Level= Reference and Honors Reserves)
2. Use the wall signs and/or map to find the correct section
Example: You want the section with the HQ books in it. This is on the 2nd level above the main entrance.
3. Use the rest of the call number to find the correct shelf and the book.
Confused by the call number system? Read this.